Saturday, March 12, 2016

Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology, Leah Remini

Here is a fun fact about me: I am a little obsessed with reading books about Scientology and escapes from Scientology. I've read Going Clear. I've read Beyond Belief. I've read everything. So I had this pre-ordered, obviously, and it was SO interesting!

Remini's story is different than most Scientology stories; her mother rescued her daughters from the SeaOrg and moved them to California. Remini's successes meant she got treated distinctly differently from the non-famous or non-successful Scientologists. (For a particularly harrowing version of this story, read Beyond Belief, about Jenna Miscavige.) The details are amazing, and Remini is so funny. It's a fun read, and a fast one.

I do wonder... All through the book Remini insists strongly that she has always been a little dubious about Scientology and never really bought in or believed in all of it. I wonder how much of that is true and how much is looking back on something that's hurt and betrayed you, and convincing yourself that you always knew better, and were too smart to buy in.

Grade: B

2015

No comments:

Post a Comment