Sunday, March 13, 2016

Not Quite Dead Enough, Rex Stout

For whatever reason I set myself a goal of rereading ALL the Nero Wolfe books, in order. As a kid I read them haphazardly by whichever I could grab from the library. They make a little more sense this way.

This book is two novellas, both of which involve Archie Goodwin being a major in the Army. SWOON. Archie is already dreamy in that he is a noir detective who's always busy being a pain in the ass, but Archie in a WWII uniform is almost too much. In the first story here he has to persuade Nero Wolfe to give up his dream of also joining the army, which Archie does by framing himself for a murder and then basically daring Wolfe to help him out. I laughed out loud on the subway. I love you, Archie, you tremendous pain in the ass.

I always picture Lily Rowan as Lauren Bacall, and I'm always delighted when she shows up.

Grade: A

#18 in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment