Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Legend of Lyon Redmond, Julie Anne Long

The last Pennyroyal Green book! The second book in this series, Like No Other Lover, is in my top five all-time romances; it was so incredibly satisfying and amazing that I downloaded the whole rest of the series that was available on my kindle immediately. God, I still remember the names of the main characters -- Cynthia and Miles -- and sometimes I don't remember characters' names while I'm reading the book.

The whole series is about two rival families, and how they fight and various members of each family find true love. But all the way through we know the oldest son of one family was madly in love with the beautiful daughter of the other family, and she's sort of sadly decided to never love anyone again since he vanished. He, meanwhile, has become a pirate who frees slaves on slave ships. She's finally found someone she likes enough to marry (and I liked him a lot, too, so when she inevitably leaves him at the altar I was bummed). Obviously Lyon can't let anyone else marry his One True Love, so he kidnaps her, kinda, and they go have sex, and then he sends her home to "make her own decision," or something, and blah blah "why didn't you come with me years ago?"

I think the book suffers from being the 11th in a series that has been building to this book for soooo looooong that it had to feel epic and beautiful instead of just being a good romance. Lots of flashbacks and lots of tragic pining, but at some point I just wasn't that excited about it anymore. And then the end has the weirdest flashforward to their descendants in modern day, which I get was about how everyone lived happily ever after and had the greatest lives ever, but really just made me think, "Oh no, all these characters are dead."

Grade: C (I love the series but on my rereads I'm gonna skip this one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment