Sunday, March 13, 2016

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye #1), Seanan McGuire

I wanted so much to love this and it just didn't work for me at all. The prologue was great -- I love a lady private detective -- and I'm in on magical realism and ongoing series.

But I was bored. Every chapter seems to open with our heroine finding another aspect of faerie that she used to know, and giving pages and pages of exposition about this fairie court or that type of monster, or this kind of selkie, or that magical area in San Francisco. She needs to solve a mystery, so she goes from person to person, and she's obviously introducing everyone and everything that will come into play later in the series. But... I just didn't care, after a while. I wanted things to happen, instead of learning about another evil fairie court. Also, because it's noir(ish), everything goes wrong for our heroine. She's lost her family, she's lost her power, she's lost her friends, she's lost her job. It was just a slog, reading her miserable internal dialogue about how sad she was.

Oh, well. It was worth a shot.

Grade: C

#15 in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment