Thursday, March 31, 2016

Because of Miss Bridgerton, Julia Quinn

A prequel! I love a prequel! (Although I'm sitting here trying to puzzle out how the Bridgertons in the later books are related to these Bridgertons. The... son? must be the dad? who dies? That makes me sad.)

This book is CHARMING. I think with Bridgerton books I am either entirely charmed or annoyed almost beyond words, but this is a super cute and deeply adorable story. Two families live next door to each other: the kids have known each other since they were little kids, and while most of them ran wild, the oldest boy, George, has always been just a little bit less wild and crazy. So naturally the crazy, confident, loud girl next door, Billie Bridgerton, has always thought he was a boring stick in the mud. And naturally he has always thought she was ridiculous and annoying and too loud.

You will be VERY SURPRISED TO HEAR that once they are thrown together by circumstance, it turns out that he thinks she is smart and lovely, and she thinks he is handsome and funny. Once he realizes he has feelings there are some hilarious scenes of him secretly planning to murder every other man who looks at her -- and then realizing wait, no, he can't do that. BUT HE'D LIKE TO.

This is so sweet, and I read the whole thing in about a day. I just loved it. I will say, Billie feels like a very, very young 23 in this book. Lots of foot-stomping and arguing and eye rolling. It would have made more sense to me if she were 18, but it didn't throw me out of the book or anything.

Grade: a warm and cozy B

#30 in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment