Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Superheroes Union: Dynama (The Superheroes Union #1), Ruth Diaz

I read this because it's the next book we're discussing on the romance novel podcast I'm a part of, and I'm really glad my friend suggested it. This is a novella, and it's a delight.

I am the one remaining American who doesn't like superheroes (it feels like sometimes), and "if we fail it'll be the end of the world/the city will be destroyed/aliens will invade" isn't very compelling stakes for me. This is a superhero story, but the stakes are very personal. The bad guy who has escaped from Supervillain jail is one of our heroine's ex-husband, and he's not trying to destroy the world, he just wants custody of his kids. I loved that, more than being a story about superheroes smashing stuff up, it's a story about a mother at the end of her rope, and her kids, and the hot babysitter she hires who ends up fulfilling both the kids' and her emotional needs. What a cute, satisfying story.

Grade: B

#23 in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment