Saturday, March 12, 2016

In the Bleak Midwinter, Julia Spencer-Fleming

This book was slightly weird to read because it takes place not very far from where I grew up. I know what a kill is and I knew most of the places they visited. I also recognized the rural poverty the book talks about, which was uncomfortable. This is a murder mystery and the beginning of a romance between the local sheriff and the new (woman) priest in a small town in upstate New York. There was one chapter I had to skim through because after ten different warnings that her car was unprepared for winter in the Adirondacks Clare still drove off to help someone in a snow storm and it was so obvious that it was going wrong that I couldn't bear to read it. But it turned out not to be quite as dumb as I was fearing. On the other hand I had a lot of trouble with the burgeoning romance because the sheriff is married, and I know it goes on slowly through lots of other books, but I'm not sure there's a way to resolve that without making me mad at one character or the other.

Grade: B

Originally posted 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment