Saturday, March 12, 2016

Into the Fire, Suzanne Brockmann

I love Brockmann (GO READ HOT TARGET) and I love this series, but boy is she weird about pregnancy. This book gives her three different opportunities to be weird about pregnancy, and they all skeeved me out. 

Spoilers:

First she does her classic, "Oh no, we didn't use a condom, maybe we will have a baby, OH BOY I HOPE SO!" male freak out. (Surely there must be some men in the universe somewhere who would not be excited to have a baby, but Brockmann's never written them.) Then there's a pregnant teenager who convinces one of the SEALs to marry her. Or, well, I guess it's his idea, since he is in love with her instantly because she is pregnant. (Men love babies! Especially babies that aren't theirs!) At one point the pregnant teenager sees someone looking at her funny and decides the other woman is jealous of the magic that is her unborn fetus. (All women want babies, too!)

But I really got freaked out over the relationship between the teenager and her SEAL. I get that it's True Love but they haven't realized it yet, so they make a deal when they get married. She feels beholden to him (understandably so), and he doesn't want her to, so he starts... making rules? Like, he can cheat, but she can't. (She immediately says, "I wouldn't!" all offended, because they HAVE known each other for a whole two days. And she's supposed to be a wild child.) That really creeped me out. He gets all upset that she's acting like she's going to be his sex slave, but when they have sex he's totally turned on by her kneeling for him and undressing him. 

Meanwhile there's some plot and stuff, too. Someone killed someone and there's some kidnapping and running around and shooting. This book suffers from having 9 million characters all of whom have their own plots. And even though it pissed me off, I have to go read the next one because I need to know what happens to Dave. (OMG, Dave!)

It's just a hot mess, basically. Go read Hot Target.

Grade: D

Originally posted 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment