Saturday, March 12, 2016

General catch up

As a kid I read so voraciously that I blasted through hundreds of books a year (mostly sci fi and fantasy from my dad's collection, but other stuff too). I was always the girl sitting out of recess reading a book, in case my super nerdiness wasn't clear. Anyway I fell out of the habit of reading because I read so much on the internet and I'm so busy, but then this fall I bought myself a new Kindle (with a light!) and I read 21 books between October, when I got it, and the end of the year.

In vague order of reading:
  • Scandal Wears Satin, Loretta Chase
  • Them, John Ronson
  • A Night Like This, Julia Quinn
  • Cloud Atlas, David MItchell
  • The Ugly Duchess, Eloisa James
  • Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
  • Snuff, Terrry Pratchett
  • This Book Is Full of Spiders (seriously, dude, don't touch it), David Wong
  • The Men Who Stare At Goats, Jon Ronson
  • Lost At Sea, Jon Ronson
  • The Signal and the Noise -- Why so many predictions fail but some don't, Nate Silver
  • Seduced by a Pirate, Eloisa James
  • The Duke is Mine, Eloisa James
  • Fingersmith, Sarah Waters,
  • Argo -- How the CIA and Hollywood pulled of the most audacious rescue in the world, Antonio Mendez
  • Death from the Skies! the science behind the end of the world, Philip Plait
  • The Poisoner's Handbook -- Murder and the birth of forensic medicine in the jazz age, Deborah Blum
  • The Psychopath Test, Jon Ronson
  • Unspoken, Sarah Rees Brennan
  • Venus in Blue Jeans, Meg Benjamin
  • A Night like This, Julia Quinn

It would take too long to write much about them but the kindle is great for romance novels (which I love, clearly) and also big fat books I otherwise wouldn't be able to lug around on the subway (Tolstoy). It was also great for all my overnight bus trips home and flights wherever. Nate Silver's book was great and really made me think about stuff like weather predictions. I probably read too many Jon Ronson books but mostly I'm sad there aren't more. Cloud Atlas made me cryyyyyyyyy and Fingersmith was amazing. 

I am always looking for book recommendations if people read something amazing this year! I think this is a pretty good idea of the stuff I enjoy. Romances, science books, non-fiction of just about any stripe, and apparently lesbian YA romances. 

Originally posted 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment