Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway

"I couldn't find the bathroom. Then I found it."

See, that's my problem with Hemingway. That right there. There's also the part where this book is wildly anti-Semitic and pretty racist to boot, but I can let most of that go as a product of its time. (If only the WHOLE THING weren't about how much Hemingway's narrator hates his Jewish friend.) 

It would also be pretty swell if Hemingway didn't hate women and they got to have character and do stuff besides sleep around and marry for money, but that's his problem, not mine. 

Obviously I'm not a huge fan of his work (the symbolism with the bull fighting was nice, though) but I feel like I ought to read these books, since they're around. Bleh. "I didn't like the book. Then I read it. The end."

Grade: D

Originally posted 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment