Saturday, March 12, 2016

Sweet Disorder, Rose Lerner

I liked it, but man, there was a lot of discussion of politics between the Whigs and the Tories, and I spent most of it worried that the nice candy man would be left alone.

Hang on, let me start again.

She's a widow and both political parties in her small town want her to get remarried so her husband can vote for them. Her heart and her family always supported one party, but the other party has found her a husband who she likes better. The party she likes found her a nice man who makes sweets, but she doesn't like sweets. (Personal note: I eat jelly beans for dinner like, three days a week. This was not a plot point I could sympathize with it.) Then the better husband candidate turns out to be kind of a jerk, and there's a thing going on with the heroine's sister that I don't want to spoil. I haven't even mentioned the hero -- his brother is running for office, and he was injured in the war, and he likes the widow, but he's rich and she's not, and I liked them, but oh man, I wanted them to get together on page 30 instead of at the very end. At some point near the end I was shouting Get on with it!!! at the book.

I was, seriously, very concerned that the nice man with the sweets shop who was just trying to get by was going to end up screwed over. That's mostly what I remember.

Grade: B

2015

No comments:

Post a Comment