Saturday, March 12, 2016

Leviathan, Scott Westerfeld

Cool! Alternate WWI where the British splice together animals to make flying whale airships and the Germans build giant walking robots to fight them. Sheltered-little-prince learns to be a regular boy isn't my favorite trope but I liked the way our two main characters decided to be friends instead of fighting, and I appreciated that the whole "THERE ARE TERRIBLE SECRETS WE CAN'T EVER TELL YOU BECAUSE THEY ARE ABOUT YOU" thing was basically explained and went away. I also wish there had been more background characters to flesh out the world. There was a LOT about the technology and not much about the other people, and I'm more about characters than world building. I loved the lady scientist, though. Grumpy lady scientists rule.

Grade: B

Originally posted in 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment