Saturday, March 12, 2016

Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie

I really, really, really liked this book. It was epic and awesome and full of history. Despite having read the introduction I didn't see the twist about The Widow coming at the end. The language is vivid and gorgeous and at times absolutely hypnotic. One of the best books I've read in ages.

I should add, though, that I liked the first 2/3 a lot better than the last 1/3 which felt like it was wandering into a different story. And I need someone a lot smarter than me to express my dissatisfaction with the way women in the book were catalysts and plot points, but not really characters. I can't quite articulate it, but the narrator says as much near the end, that all the events in his life were caused by women, or by loving a woman, or by hating a woman, or whatever. And I would like a story that includes women, instead of just being driven by them.

Grade: A

Originally posted 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment