Saturday, May 21, 2016

Rivers of London: Body Work, Ben Aaronovitch

I usually don't even try to read graphic novels because I am terrible at figuring out what the hell is going on. I like words, not pictures. When I read a graphic novel I usually just look at all the dialogue, and end up super confused about what happened.

But I love the Rivers of London series, and the newest book was delayed (now a friend in the UK is going to send it to me in August instead of waiting for November -- November! What kind of bullshit is that, releasing a book months earlier in one country? It doesn't even require translation!) so I decided to look at the graphic novels. Body Work is the compilation of the first set of comics that go along with the Rivers of London books -- kind of a side adventure for Peter and everyone.

I liked it a lot! I'm not great at decoding pictures, but it only confused me a little here and there, and I stopped and went back and double-checked what was going on. Peter doesn't look quite right (he looks too cool, honestly; I never pictured Peter as suave at all) and Toby is cuter in my head, and Molly-in-my-head is eerier. But this is a great mystery story about a killer car that's been broken up and sold for parts, all of which seem to be trying to murder people in various ways. And then Peter and Nightingale find another cursed car from the 1920s, which also tried to murder people. Are the cases connected? (Of course). Is there a twist ending? (Of course).

It's a great little side story while I wait (INCREASINGLY IMPATIENTLY) for the release of the next proper book. It's not as funny as the novels, and it doesn't have some of the things I particularly love about Peter's narration, like the description of architecture and London history. But I liked reading it a lot, and I'll pick up the other one, too, when it's compiled.

Have you read Rivers of London? Because I kind of can't recommend it highly enough.

Grade: A
#46 in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment