Monday, May 2, 2016

Murder by the Book, Rex Stout

It's not this book's fault it's getting a medium "I liked it okay" grade. The vast majority of Nero Wolfe books have been B's because they are exactly the distraction that I need from something else. This book was fine, but I read it to try and get over my The Ringed Castle hangover, and... nothing could have held my attention then, honestly.

There's a murder, but no one knows what it means. There's another murder but no one's sure why. Archie has to date ten different secretaries, which is too many for me to keep straight, before he can even figure out who the suspects might be. Archie flies out to California where he meets some great other characters, but at that point I was overwhelmed with people to keep track of. By the time I found out who the murderer was I barely remembered what was going on. I did, of course, notice the throw away line about Lily Rowan, because Archie looooooves her.

It's not Archie's fault that my heart was still in Tudor England, thinking about heart break and friendship and pining.

Grade: C
#41 in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment