Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Outlaw Cowboy, Nicole Helm

This is a DNF but I might go back and finish it later. It's not a DNF for being a bad book. If anything, it hits me a little too close to home. Nicole Helm really understands the dark side of small town life; the claustrophobia, the families with dark secrets, the bad boys who make stupid decisions because they're bored and there's nothing to do.

Both the main characters in this book are desperate -- he needs to prove himself, after a lifetime of screwing up, now that he's stopped drinking and his dad is in a wheelchair. She's on the run from the law after some bad choices, hungry, alone, and trying to rescue her sisters from an abusive father. They're both so angry with each other, and they're both so sad and alone. I  that picking the book up to read when I'm having kind of a rough month just doesn't feel like fun.

So it's a DNF, but not because of the book. I'm just not in a place where this is an enjoyable read for me. I do plan to go back and pick it up again when the weather is nicer and I have a lot less stress in my life.

Grade: DNF


No comments:

Post a Comment