Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Curtains for Three, Rex Stout

I told you. Rough weekend = all the Nero Wolfe books. This is another set of three novellas, so even though I finished it last night I have only the vaguest recollection. Let me check. Goodreads says: "Three clever murderers challenge Nero Wolfe in cases involving lovers who want to make sure neither is a killer, a stable full of suspects in the search for a killer on horseback, and a murderer stalking Wolfe's brownstone."

Okay, yes, I do remember this. In the first one there's a dead guy but the gun wasn't there and then it was; Wolfe is hired by two lovers who want to get married but both kind of believe the other one murdered her ex-husband so they can be together. That one's good. The second one is actually, for a Nero Wolfe mystery, pretty simplistic, and as soon as the guy had an iron-clad alibi I was like, "Well, he probably did it and set up that alibi somehow."

The third story I think I remember reading as a kid, because it involves Archie letting himself be tied up and beaten by bad guys briefly, and man. If there's a scene guaranteed to get a reread from teenage me, tie up your cocky protagonist and have someone slap him around a little. (The only other scene I've vividly remembered in 18 books is one where Archie was drugged and passed out. I am very predictable.)

Grade: B
#39 in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment