Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal, Mary Roach

I love humorous science writing. This isn't quite on par, with, for example, Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams, but it's super interesting and enjoyable. Even the gross parts -- and this book, which is all about food, where it comes from, how it gets into you, how it comes out of you, people who have died from interesting and strange food-related problems... It was weird to read the chapter about saliva while I was eating lunch, for example. But interesting! Definitely a book where you want to tell people all the interesting things you read. The book was sliiiightly more sassily commenting on the science and scientists than I wanted it to be -- I genuinely think anything can be cool and interesting, and I didn't need the slight ironic detachment, I guess?

The footnotes, while usually funny or interesting, are a little awkward on a kindle, jumping back and forth. It's a dumb little complaint, but it made the book about 3% more irritating than it should have been. Oh well.

Grade: B
#77 in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment